Tuesday, April 19, 2016

ABA Confusion

We watched this interview yesterday where Tonia of Tonia Says talks about growing up with a disability:

I LOVED A LOT OF HER ANSWERS AND AGREE A LOT WITH THE ANSWER ABOUT NOT KNOWING A LIFE WITHOUT A BODY AND BRAIN DISCONNECT. FIND BEING ME AGAIN NOT TRAGIC. ABILITY TO BE A HAPPY AND AMAZING PERSON IS NOT ONLY FOR ABLE BODIED PEOPLE. AND A LOT OF PARENTS ARE NATURALLY WORRIED ABOUT AUTISM AND ARE AMAZINGLY TRYING TO HELP BUT I MUST OBJECT ABOUT HOW THEY HELP. I FEEL AFTER PEOPLE ARE ABA FINISHED THEY ARE MAD THEY WON'T GET MORE ABA. BUT IF THEY ASKED ANY AUTISTIC THEY WOULD SAY ABA IS THE STUPIDEST MOST BORING THING IN THE WORLD. AUTISM IS NOT A LEARNING PROBLEM. ABA DOES A LOT OF REPETITIVE WORK BUT DOESN'T HELP THE BRAIN BODY DISCONNECT. SAD ABOUT NOBODY BEING AWARE OF THIS. AM FINDING SO MANY AUTISTICS ARE SAYING SAME THING ABOUT ABA BUT NOBODY IS LISTENING TO THEM. THAT IS AMAZINGLY STRANGE TO ME. 

2 comments:

  1. Fox,

    I'm so happy and surprised to see that you watched my interview (it's so long!) I think it's so awesome that kids and adults with disabilities can connect over similar things. I never experienced ABA but like I said in the interview, I had teachers growing up, who would treat me like a baby, and that was so frustrating! I'm pretty sure no one likes that (except babies.) It makes me happy to hear that having autism is as normal for you as having CP is for me. Nothing to be sad about, even though both can make life harder sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fox,

    I am so proud of your MOM and you for finding RPM and sharing your voice! I wish all kids could have access to whatever therapy works for them and I know that you sharing your voice is helping Autistic children (whether they can talk with their mouths or not) to be treated like the intelligent people they truly are!

    I am hoping to use RPM for my 6 year old who is ' verbal' but not fully communicating. I hope one day to hear HIS poems, too! :-)

    I wish parents had access to funding to use as they wish in whatever way would best help their child.

    Keep sharing your thoughts! We love hearing what you have to say!

    -Jennifer & Quincy

    ReplyDelete